Friday, April 12, 2013

Views from a hill


I wondered if I would get my reward today. Setting out in very overcast conditions, and heading for even higher climes, today's venture may have ended with only exercise and challenge as the fruits of my labour. Anyone who knows me will know the vast natural views are a key part of why I do this...and the evening beers that follow. Oh, hell, there are any number of reasons for a solitary man such as myself!

Well, I started out along the St. Kevin's Way at Ballinagee Forest and traced the steps to the Wicklow Gap. Still no sunshine, but I could see the light desperately trying to break through. More hope than expectation at this point. The route up to the Gap is entirely pleasant: a genuine woodland walk, not one of those Coillte forest tracks that are somewhat sterile and functional. I really enjoyed this section as a suitable warm up for what was to come. The pathway weaves in and out of both the R758 (Gap Road) and The King's River, with only minimal road walking required at the final stretch.

Brunch! With view to Camaderry from Wicklow Gap
 After a brunch stop (yup, you can have brunch on hiking days!) near the main car park, I continued on up the ESB service road around Turlough Hill before departing civilisation for the next few hours. And this is where the fun starts. You're off the beaten paths now, and won't see anything discernibly traceable for some time. I took route one to Conavalla, mostly so I could avoid the scurrying orienteering types that were following then overtaking me. Nothing against their chosen exercise, but I'm here to enjoy the natural surroundings in peace, and I don't have much of a timetable. Turns out they were headed to Lough Ferrib - disappointed they must have been to realise I wasn't! Shouldn't have followed me, so! Now, this section of my chosen walk was fraught with trickery given the amount of snow still lying around. It is especially boggy in this area at the best of times, so one is forced to negotiate snow, granite, peat hags of massive proportions, under-ice streams and no end of random meltwater, plus wind chill factors of several degrees. Like I always say, this stuff is fun, fun, FUN all the way! Over my knees in snow on many more than several occasions I did get to Conavalla - a peak that has little to recommend it in itself, but does have great views to Lugnaquilla, into Glendalough, and back to the Tonelagee / Mullaghcleevaun stretch.

By now, I am very keen to lunch, but no suitable shelter can be gained, so I plod on to the Three Lakes, and eventually over to Art's Cross...and now I get my reward, as the sun comes out. Cornish Cove, Red Onion Chutney, Baked Ham on Granary Bread if you must know.


Tonelagee to Mullaghcleevaun (view from Art's Cross)

Stuck in the rut of peat hags and snow, I've still to take in a frozen Lough Ferrib (oh, yes, I went there in the end!), White Hill, and drop back down to Oakwood before meeting up with St. Kevin again.

Frozen Ferrib with view to Lugnaquilla

St Kevin's Way Marker
Once you leave Turlough Hill there is very little evidence of human activity throughout this whole rugged section. While at times it was very tough going today, there is much to recommend the area, and I'm surprised it doesn't get more visitors. Maybe in the fair weather, eh?

Distance: 23.15km
Highest Elevation: 732m
Climb: 491m
Duration: 7.5hrs inc. Lunch

No comments:

Post a Comment