Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Four Tops (or Under the Shadow)

Today finally became the day that I got to venture out into the hills again. Weather being what it is, particularly in recent weeks, has meant I have not been brave (daft?) enough to tackle my preferred target. In fairness, I have also been very busy on a handful of musical endeavours, too. I guess the timing worked out all right in that respect.

Today was a day for sunscreen (almost!) even though temperatures barely got above freezing - windchill factor probably putting the feeling at -5 or so. Now, we all know a picture can ably supplant a thousand words so I promise to get to that part soon enough. However, I have to say that while I feel I have been on the ropes for the last 6 weeks or so, today I felt like I gave a few sneaky digs back, and that I really felt alive. Combined with the ongoing Maggy Simpson mixing sessions, today's outing has me thirsting for life again in a big way. I'm going to treat myself to some delicious craft beer later on, too!

I covered just shy of 12.5km on my route, visiting Fananierin, Croghanmoira (or Mottie) and Carrickashane. Yup, that's only 3 named 'tops', but Fananierin kinda has two discernible summits. All of these hills are set beyond the massive Lugnaquilla in the very southern part of Wicklow. The trek I chose follows very well marked tracks of varying quality, and overall this is a very pleasant and achievable walk for someone of average fitness. I met not a wandering soul out there on a Wednesday afternoon, however plenty of evidence exists to show that 'Mottie' especially has been traversed a good deal during the late snows we endured in March.

On with the show:


View to Fananierin (upper level) and Croghanmoira (left, centre, with snow!)


Croghanmoira Summit, looking back to Glenmalure Valley
Evidence of other life!

Imposing Lugnaquilla, as viewed from Fananierin


Distance: 12.45km
Highest Elevation: 649m
Climb: 367m
Duration: 4hrs inc. Lunch


No comments:

Post a Comment